Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bad Kane Dog!

Larry and I have decided to move to the Dallas Fort Worth area. We are very excited, but yes, that means we have to move all of our stuff for the fourth time in five years! We are renting our house in Mississippi so I need everything to look somewhat nice. This brings me to remembering what was hidden underneath the couch.

Back in February we noticed Kane Dog was sporting a new kind of blue. Although breeders consider his grayish black coat to be blue, this was a brighter blue than what is to be expected. Therefore, we went on a hunt to find the blue pen that he managed to get all over himself. We found the blue pen in Kane’s favorite hiding place, underneath the couch. This hiding place is perfect for Kane. No one can get to him and he feels perfectly safe there, until you lift up one end of the couch while someone else grabs him. This has become part of our nightly routine. Lucky for me, because I am without Larry for this week, Kane has learned to come out on his own when you lift up the couch. So, back to the blue ink…not only did he manage to cover himself in ink, but also the carpet!
In February I tried to remove the ink with no luck, granted I was in my third trimester and didn’t work too hard on it. So now I’m asking for advice on how to remove it. I’ve tried Bissell cleaner and alcohol. Neither seems to get the job done, although the alcohol does blot up some of the blue.

3 comments:

Ken said...

Okay, I have consulted my Queen of Clean book and here's what she says:

"Spray on hair spray or blot with rubbing alcohol. For heavy ink spots, try denatured alcohol. Blot well and follow with a spotter (she recommends Spot Shot)." She also says to use cheap hairspray and to get one with as little oil as possible as the oil will spread the stain.

In another part of the book, she suggests soaking ink stains on clothing in milk.

Good luck!

Leah said...

OK, I was totally going to write "I have no clue, short of my Tide-to-Go pen that got red wine out of a Vera Bradley tote, but Taryn has this Queen of Clean book that is freaking awesome. Ask her." It's like I'm psychic!
On a related note, KaneDog can come live with Aunt Leah if he wants!

Melissa said...

I would definitely recommend something that is not water based. I'd try nail polish remover - whichever you have (there's the normal acetone based one and the non-acetone, which is ethyl acetate). I use ethyl acetate to get everything out at work. A strong liquor, like vodka, might work too, but you need something with a high content (151 rum, even). I'll keep poking around, since I am enjoying looking at fun chemical structures!

And...Texas?! Geez! Does Southwest fly there? How does that affect Larry's job?