Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July Week

Since their house is still not finished and they did not have anywhere to stay, Grandma and Grandpa decided to spend their Fourth of July holiday in Mississippi. We started the week with Vicksburg National Military Park and Stained Glass Manor Oak Hall.
The battlefield was nothing great, especially compared to Antietam and Gettysburg of which we have visited many times. There is no 1970-80s light diorama depicting the battle and no viewing towers to climb. But, it does have an ironclad boat, which is pretty neat to see and worth driving through the endless state monuments. The Stain Glass Manor home was very interesting and the proprietor who gave us the tour was even more interesting. The house was designed by Maher who taught Frank Lloyd Wright. It also has 36 original art (stained) glass panels by Millet and subcontracted by Tiffany. Despite the horrible damage to the wood from previous owners (who sandblasts beautiful wood trim and columns?) the home was beautiful. During the week we didn't get much done except for a few trips out and about, an endless game of Pinochle and a few rounds of Texas Hold 'em with our new poker chips. One of the trips out was to the sewing machine store. I think I'm going to start quilting, but first I require a sewing machine which is on my Christmas list. It is never to early to start thinking about Christmas, especially when Grandma starts shopping in May. We also took Wesley for his three month photo session. Let me know if you want a picture; I've got lots to share.

For the first time in what seems like forever, Larry and I took advantage of the live in free babysitting and went to the movies as part of our anniversary gift. We saw Indian Jones which was pretty good, but nothing like the first three. It is hard to watch a hero age, and Harrison Ford has definitely aged.

On the Forth we decided to have breakfast out. Bad Idea. The first few places we went to were closed! That is one of the biggest disappointment about Mississippi, there are not enough bagel shops here, so after driving around for 40 minutes we finally ended up at a doughnut shop. After hanging around the house all day playing games, we made our way over to the Lowes parking lot to view the Madison Fireworks. Since the Lowes parking lot is elevated from the launch site, it is almost the perfect spot, except for when the show was over and an entire packed parking lot tries to exit at the same time. Wesley enjoyed watching the fireworks and was mesmerized by all the pretty colors, he was almost as fun to watch as the fireworks themselves.
On Saturday, we finished off the visit with a trip to the State's Museum of Natural Science. I was little afraid that it would be very small, so I kept talking it down. Oh how we were so spoiled living close to Washington DC with the Smithsonian. But, overall it was pretty nice. A little heavy on the stuffed animals, but I expect nothing less from Mississippi. The Aquarium and fish were plentiful and I always enjoy watching water turtles. No sharks, Leah. Wesley loved looking at the big fishies!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It's funny how you take places like Gettysburg and DC for granted when having lived there all your life. Nevertheless, it's nice to hear there are some similar things in Mississippi. And, of course, I want pictures! :)

Leah said...

T is intoxicated in my living room and we are watching Dynasty. For once, I am not the most intoxicated. I told her that I was writing a comment on your blog, about how fun your weekend sounded and how I was glad you didn't see sharks and was going to gloat about our free museums even though we went to two today that cost money (blogs to follow), and she told me to say the following:

"are drunk. I'm not into pronouns. Nobody needs pronouns, it's a waste of time, you fool! *smacks Leah in the chest* Oh no! We missed something!"

Also, please don't tell my mother you're quilting. I'll never hear the end of her trying to convince me to do the same. I want to see what you make, though! Just because I don't quilt doesn't mean I don't have a great appreciation of the sport.

We miss you! Hi to those people who are in Mississippi with you. And those chihuahuas.

Sandy said...

Happy belated 4th to you all!